Pages

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Shooting in Connecticut

Shock and grief sit heavy on me today as I learned of the Connecticut shooting just moments before I boarded a plane. We sat for 6 hours watching the news unfold, hardly able to focus on anything else during the flight. Men and women were wiping away tears as the truth sank in that kindergartners were murdered.

As I reflect on this fact, and think of the sweet children recently stabbed to death by their once loving nanny, I am left with a feeling of unease. I look around and wonder what is happening in our world. Are these people truly this evil, or is evil coming and taking over people to act out these awful killings? Is nothing sacred anymore? When babies can't go to school without being killed, what does this mean for the future of mankind?

The news has covered the unrest in Israel, the political debacle in the Middle East and the rising issues with North Korea. While these are all terrifying and potentially WWIII starting events, what are we saving when our safety at home is so volatile? Why are we destroying ourselves from within?

1 comment: